YEE is looking for two volunteers from September 2019 for 10 months European Solidarity Corps (ESC) volunteering opportunity at our office in Prague, Czech Republic.
The ESC project “Youth taking action for the environment” will take place in the office of Youth and Environment Europe in Prague, Czech Republic. It will last 10 months from September 2019.
Within this 10 months, YEE wants to give two young people an opportunity to build up their capacities and work in an international environment on various activities (international and local projects, campaigns, publications, workshops).
YEE has been hosting EVS volunteers for 9 years and ESC volunteers for one year, during these years we shaped the project taking into account the experiences gained from the volunteers. We value, diversity, learning from each other and intercultural learning.
The long term objective of the project, that will last till the end of December 2021 and in total will host 6 volunteers from different European countries is to raise understanding and level of solidarity and European values among young people and European Environmental Youth Organisations.
Short term objectives are as follows:
- to develop competences of young people needed in environmental youth work;
- to raise awareness about environmental problems on local and international level through the network;
- to help young people gain various skills needed in youth work to identify and tackle societal challenges and strengthen their communities;
- to give access and involve young people in international working environment and projects: to promote voluntary work, inclusion and practice of living in peaceful societies with different cultures.
During the ESC project in YEE two volunteers will be able to implement tasks and develop skills in a wide scale of activities, which are split in three parts:
- Work in YEE office – helping to organise campaigns, activities, create publications, write project applications, work on the website, social media, newsletter, graphics, as well as the concrete topics they are interested in, in relation to the youth issues and environmental awareness.
Volunteers will gain and practise skills of: cooperating in an intercultural team with people from several different countries in the office, working in English, organising local projects and workshops, public speaking, coordinating various campaigns, activities, Working Groups, preparing publications, videos, design, updating website, social media management skills etc. This is the main part of the project which takes up the most working hours.
- Volunteering with the local community in Czech Republic.
Volunteers will integrate into local community, practise the Czech language, help in a local organisation in tasks according to their interest and make practical workshops.
- Personal project. Volunteers will prepare a project according to their interest to practice sense of initiative and creativity.
All these various activities will enable volunteers in different ways to raise their environmental awareness and inform other young people about environmental problems, as well as raise the level of intercultural solidarity.
During the ESC project in YEE the volunteers can gain:
– ability to work and cooperate in an international team,
– ability to work on various computer-related tasks (Microsoft office, WordPress, Canva, editing videos etc.),
– ability to work on informative materials (writing articles and texts, researching, proofreading, designing, disseminating the materials),
– ability to network and use the contacts for future projects,
– supporting the organisation of local/international campaigns,
– supporting the coordination of local/international projects,
– sharing their knowledge and skills with their peers and colleagues,
– speaking Czech and improving English,
– working with young people while organising local educational projects,
– practising various methodologies of environmental education and non-formal education,
– presentation skills,
– broader knowledge on the environmental issues in Europe,
– fundraising and knowledge about funding opportunities in Europe.
Profile of ESC volunteers:
The working language in the office is English so we ask for at least good knowledge of the English language (both written and spoken), so that volunteers can actively participate in our office work.
We are looking for people that have at least basic computer skills (in the office they will learn how to use various programmes for specific tasks) and are willing to work in YEE, as well as with the local community.
YEE welcomes volunteers with interest and/or experience in the fields of the environment, international movement of European youth, intercultural learning and/or EU issues.
YEE offers its ESC volunteers both good working conditions and good living conditions, a lot of space for creativity and a chance to see the results of their work, as well as a friendly atmosphere, coaching, regular lessons in the Czech language, suitable accommodation and the personal support of the coordinator and a mentor during the whole stay. We invite people who wish to gain working experience in the office of an environmental international youth organisation, meet many new friends from all over Europe and who are doing everything for a better environment.
YEE will offer the volunteer accommodation in a shared flat with the other ESC Volunteer. Each volunteer have their own room. YEE office is easily accessible from the flat.
The ESC coordinator will arrange the public transport card for the volunteer. The card will be paid every three months by the hosting organisation and will allow the volunteers to travel freely to the office and around Prague.
The volunteer will be registered for the medical insurance in their home country. During the first week of the activity, the ESC coordinator will explain details about the insurance as well and will help the volunteer with future reimbursements. The volunteer will be provided with contacts of possible doctors and hospitals.
Mentoring and support
The role of a mentor is to be for the volunteer somebody whom they can always rely on. The mentors will help volunteers to adapt to the new place and country they live in.
YEE has a long experience of hosting volunteers and we strive to keep the good quality of our project, give many learning opportunities, arrange all preparations in details and support for the whole duration of the project and cooperate actively with all partners of the project.
How to apply:
Please send your CV (with indication of age) and motivation letter (maximum 1 page) to firstname.lastname@example.org till the 31st of May 23:00 CET.
The motivation letter must include answers to the following questions:
– Why would you like to volunteer with YEE?
– What is your interest in working on environmental issues?
– What do you want to learn during the ESC project?
We look forward to your applications!