4 Month volunteering opportunity at YEE!
YEE is looking for a volunteer from May 2019 for 4 months to volunteer at our office in Prague, Czech Republic.
The ESC project “Youth for the Environment” will take place in the office of Youth and Environment Europe at the ecological centre,Toulcuv Dvur in Prague, Czech Republic. It will last 4 months from May 2019, the exact starting date will be decided together with the volunteer.
Within this 4 months, YEE wants to give one young person an opportunity to build up their capacities and work in an international environment on various activities (international projects, campaigns, publications, local workshops). We value, diversity, learning from each other and intercultural learning. For this ESC Call we can only accept young people holding an EU passport.
The ESC project ‘Youth for the Environment’ has been running for more than 10 years and has developed over the years with experiences gained from volunteers.
The aim of the project is to develop competences of young people needed in environmental youth work.
Objectives of the project are:
- to exchange information among countries on topics of environment and youth projects;
- to raise awareness about environmental problems;
- to improve various skills needed in youth work;
- to involve young people in international projects and to promote voluntary work.
During the ESC project in YEE two volunteers will be able to implement tasks and develop skills in a wide scale of activities, which are split in three parts. There is already one ESC volunteer at the YEE Office.
First part is the work in YEE office – helping to organise campaigns, activities, publications, projects, website work, all about youth issues and environmental awareness.
Volunteers can learn and practise skills of: cooperating in an intercultural team with people from several different countries in the office, working in English, organising, coordinating various projects, networking with member organisations, preparing publications, design, updating website, etc. This is the main part of the project which takes up the most working hours.
Second part consists of volunteering at the ecological center Toulcuv Dvur, where YEE office is located – volunteers can integrate into local community, practise the Czech language, help in the farm and make practical workshops focused on environmental education.
Third part is the volunteer’s personal project. Volunteers can prepare a project according to their interest to practise sense of initiative and creativity.
All these various activities will enable volunteers in different ways to raise their environmental awareness and inform other young people about environmental problems.
During ESC project in YEE the volunteers can gain:
– ability to work and cooperate in an international team,
– ability to work on various computer-related tasks (Microsoft office, WordPress, Photoshop, etc.),
– ability to work on publications (writing articles and texts, researching, proofreading, designing, promoting the publications),
– ability to network and use the contacts for future projects,
– promoting various projects, campaigns, activities, organisations,
– supporting the organisation of local/international campaigns and projects,
– supporting the coordination of local/international projects,
– sharing their knowledge and skills to their peers and colleagues,
– speaking Czech and improving English,
– working with children in organising local educational projects, gaining practical skills in Toulcuv Dvur ecological farm,
– practising various methods of environmental education and non-formal education,
– presentation skills,
– broader knowledge on the environmental issues in European countries,
– fundraising and knowledge about funding opportunities in Europe.
Profile of ESC volunteers:
The working language in the office is English so we ask for at least good knowledge of the English language (both written and spoken), so that volunteers can actively participate in our office work.
We are looking for people that have at least basic computer skills (in the office s/he will learn how to use various programmes to make web design, layout) and are willing to work inside of the office and outside in the ecological centre.
YEE welcomes volunteers with interest and/or experience in the fields of the environment, international movement of European youth, intercultural learning and/or EU issues.
YEE offers its ESC volunteers both good working conditions and good living conditions, a lot of space for creativity and a chance to see the results of his/her work, as well as a friendly atmosphere, coaching, regular lessons in the Czech language, suitable accommodation, and the personal support of the coordinator and a mentor during the whole stay. We invite people who wish to gain working experience in the office of an environmental international youth organisation, meet many new friends from different European countries and who are keen to feel like they are doing something useful for the environment. We are open to cooperate with any supportive sending organisation.
YEE will offer the volunteer accommodation in a shared flat with the other ESC Volunteer. Each volunteer have their own room. The flat is located close to the ecological center Toulcuv Dvur, where YEE office is located.
The ESC coordinator will arrange the public transport card for the volunteer. The card will be paid every three months by the hosting organisation and will allow the volunteers to travel freely to work and around Prague.
The volunteer will be registered for the medical insurance by their sending organisation. The sending organisation will explain the rules and main principles of the medical insurance to the volunteers before their service. During the first week of the activity, the ESC coordinator will explain details about the insurance as well and will help the volunteer with the future reimbursements. The volunteer will be provided with contacts of possible doctors and hospitals..
Mentoring and support
The role of a mentor is to be for the volunteer somebody whom they can always rely on, not only when the volunteer needs help, but also as a friend. The mentors will help volunteers to adapt to the new place and country they live in.
YEE has a long experience of hosting volunteers and we strive to keep the good quality of our project, give many learning opportunities, arrange all preparations in details and support for the whole duration of the project and cooperate actively with all partners of the project.
How to apply:
Please send your CV (with indication of age) and motivation letter (maximum 1 page) to email@example.com. The motivation letter must include answers to the following questions:
– Why would you like to volunteer with YEE?
– What is your interest in working on environmental issues?
– What do you want to learn during the ESC project?
We look forward to your applications!
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.