Know Your Grassroots
Call for Participants
Youth and Environment Europe is announcing an open call for participants for the international seminar “Know Your Grassroots” that will take place from 1 – 7 April 2019 in Dublin, Ireland.
Know Your Grassroots is the first activity of YEE’s Annual Work Plan Let Grassroots Grow supported by the European Youth Foundation of Council of Europe.
Nowadays in Europe, where many young people still feel skeptical about the institutionalized politics, future of Europe and their participation in the social and political life of their communities, grassroots projects and activism could be seen as the right tool for making a real and youth-led change in society. The aim of the seminar is to define the concept of environmental grassroots projects and their role in fostering youth participation.
Objectives of the seminar are:
– To define the concept of environmental grassroots projects and their role in fostering youth participation.
– To create a space for peer learning and sharing: exchange of best practices and experiences among youth organisations.
– To define the role of environmental youth organisations in supporting environmental grassroots projects.
– To equip the participants with overview of environmental grassroots movements.
In order to increase capacities of young people to advocate for grassroots initiatives, we will:
- Learn what grassroots activism and actions are, and in particular environmental grassroots movements;
- Understand the relation between grassroots movements, environmental youth organisations and youth participation by learning from concrete examples of young people’s initiatives regarding environmental problems;
- Learn new methods and strategies of creating youth led environmental grassroots movements
We welcome applications from those who are interested in the topic, are motivated to learn and share knowledge with an international group of young people in the seminar and get involved in projects on the topic following the seminar. The criteria for applying are the following:
- Be active in a YEE member organisation or work/volunteer directly with young people as a youth leader, youth worker, peer educator
- Have experience or interest in the topic of environmental grassroots movements
- Have at least an intermediate level of English
- Be able to attend the whole seminar and preparatory task before the seminar
- Take initiative in organising local actions after July 2019
- Have the motivation to take back the learning experience to your home organisations and/or communities
The program will be based on the principles of non-formal education and intercultural learning. We strive for an active, inclusive program that includes direct communication and a sharing of knowledge. The sessions will be balanced between theoretical inputs, workshops, discussions, training and other interactive methods of non-formal learning.
We are looking for 28 young people between 18-30, residing in one of the Council of Europe member states, Belarus or Kosovo*.
The full cost of working materials, visa and lodging (accommodation in multi-bed rooms, vegetarian food, and refreshments) during the training will be covered by the organisers.
Participation Fee: In exchange, we ask for a participation fee of 30 EUR for participants coming from non-EU countries and 50 EUR for participants coming from EU countries, Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland.
Applicants for whom paying this fee is an obstacle for participation, should still apply and mention this in their application. YEE will try to find a solution together with the applicant after the selection is finalised.
Visa costs will be fully reimbursed. YEE will reimburse 80% of travel cost within reasonable limits and within Europe for all participants. All with the condition to follow YEE travel policy to combine the most economic and environmentally friendly way (lowest price + travel time + CO2 emissions).
Please make sure you buy comprehensive travel and medical insurance with your trip in case of issues with your travel or you can’t travel due to last minute emergencies. Please note that YEE cannot cover the cost of medical assistance or rebook any missed flight.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 10 February 2019 (23:59 CET).
DEADLINE EXTENDED: 19 February 2019 (23:59 CET)
You will be informed about the results of the selection within two weeks after the deadline.
If you have any questions regarding the prep-team application please don’t hesitate to contact YEE Project Coordinator at email@example.com