Call for YEE Secretary-General
Deadline to apply: 10 September 2020.
Start date: October 2020
Youth and Environment Europe (YEE) is looking for a young experienced and motivated person to become our next Secretary-General. A young passionate individual that will help our fast-growing network to support its exponential activities. Key responsibilities include: managing the day-to-day operations of the YEE network ensuring the smooth running of the organisation, leading and managing the YEE staff, coordinating and developing the long-term strategy, overviewing processes to ensure the smooth flow of the YEE daily work and representing the YEE to external parties.
YEE is a European network of 51 European youth non-governmental environmental organisations in 31 countries. YEE works in the field of environmental protection and education. Our activities (youth exchanges, training, campaigns, study sessions, publications, networking projects, advocacy…) are always made by and for young people. All people volunteering and working in YEE are under 30 years old.
This job offer is full-time and is the opportunity to work in a young international team, to coordinate and lead the design of youth projects.
The starting date is October 2020.
Our Secretary-General is the legal representative of YEE, empowered and capable of legal activities appointed in the work contract in the name of YEE. They report to the Executive Board while managing and supervising the YEE Office members based in Prague.
1. Organisational Development, Management and Coordination (40%) Organisational management: Running an organization sustainably and effectively, developing, improving, and reinforcing YEE strategies, plans, structures, and processes strategically, improving the organisational effectiveness.
- Human resource management: managing an international team of 4 people (2 full-time employees, 2 volunteers – European Solidarity Corps and potentially more in the near future), improving the performance of the team, building effective management systems, policies and plans for improving sustainability and resource mobilization.
- Events and meetings management: Coordinating and leading regular office meetings, Board meetings, Annual meetings (in cooperation with the Board and office members).
- Supervision of YEE projects: Ranging from empowering young people on the climate crisis and youth climate consultations to non-formal education events and advocacy strategies.
- Internal & External communication: Cooperation and communication with the Executive Board and member organisations, representing the YEE at external events and communicating with stakeholders in all administrative matters (e.g. regarding changes of statutes), European Commission and other legal bodies.
- Legal representation of YEE: Signing legal documents on behalf of the YEE (such as grant contracts).
2. Administration (20%)
- Administrative support of the activities of the organisation, writing reports and statements.
- Administration of human resources (contracts, salaries and insurance of the employees), capacity building.
- Day- to- day administration of the office.
3. Financial management (20%)
- Preparing the annual budget (in cooperation with the Treasurer of the organisation).
- Preparing the bills and invoices for the accountant.
- Reimbursing the costs of running the organisation and the activities (internet banking).
4. Fundraising and Membership (20%)
- Leading the research for new grant opportunities through the FUNdraising working group Applying for administrative grants.
- Helping to develop projects ideas, monitoring application forms and applying for grants, financial management of projects, writing final reports.
- Being proactive in membership engagement, supporting the work of the Executive Board and the broader YEE, and ensuring the development of new working groups to involve YEE Member Organisations.
What are we looking for in the candidate?
– Relevant management working experience of min. three/four years, preferably in the NGO/ environmental sector; with a strong international background;
– University degree, preferably in management or international relations, or related field like international development, NGO management, business management, European studies, environmental management;
– Proven experience with leading and managing international teams;
– Proven experience in working with volunteers and in volunteer organisations and/or with youth;
– Proven experience in administration, financial management, and writing grant applications;
– Fluency in English, at least B1 level in Czech
– Good knowledge of international donors, EU programmes and institutions, youth policy, and environmental issues;
– Good time management and organisational skills;
– Ability to work under pressure and cooperate with a team remotely, willingness to travel;
– Strong motivation to empower young people on environmental issues and to contribute to the long-term strategic and sustainable development of YEE;
– Previous project management experience;
– Experience in working with non-formal education methods;
– Experience in fundraising;
– Experience in member organisations recruitment and development.
– In case you have EU citizenship or residence permit in the Czech Republic, please, mention it in your motivation letter.
– Please note that only online applications are accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
– The Secretary-General of YEE is required to be in Prague at the start of his contract.
In case of interest, please send your CV and motivation letter, written in English to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: 10 September 2020.
Online Interviews will be done in English between the 10th and 15th of September.
Name of the organisation: Youth and Environment Europe (YEE)
Contact person: YEE Board / email@example.com