[CLOSED] We are looking for Policy Coordinator | apply now
Are you passionate about environmental law? Do you want to help us build a better future? YEE is seeking a Policy Coordinator to join its highly motivated and international team on a part-time basis.
Who is the Policy Coordinator?
This is a part-time position that would require 20 hours per week remotely or in our office in Prague for the YEE AWG. Policy coordinators have a key role as they support our advocacy work on specific pieces of legislation while supporting the work of the Advocacy Working Group under the coordination of the Advocacy Manager and the Board Member for External Affairs.
The main tasks of the Policy Coordinator would centre around the access to justice and environmental law project, involving advocacy work on the Aarhus Regulation, legal research, and communication work. This will involve attending meetings with other organisations, keeping informed about the Aarhus developments, communicating about access to justice and wider environmental law topics, contributing to accessible handbooks/explainers on environmental law, and being involved in the organisation of workshops on these topics. Additionally, the Policy Coordinator may be asked to input and support additional projects with their expertise and assist the broad Advocacy Team on policy processes such as UNFCCC and CBD COPs, G20/ G7…
The position will be supported by a Project Lead on Environmental Law.
Who are we looking for?
- A young person, between 18-29, preferably a student or young professional with flexible hours; able to take meetings during the day on weekdays.
- From Europe (not limited to European Union Member States) with the possibility to relocate to Prague and work with our colleagues based in Prague.
- Someone who is motivated, curious, and a fast learner!
- Someone with a strong interest in EU and international environmental law and in improving access to justice
- Someone with an interest and willingness to learn communication work
- Comfortable with platforms and tools such as Google Drive, Zoom, Slack, Notion, Canva & more
- Ability to communicate clearly and consistently in a group setting
- Well-organised and keeps track of projects in a proactive manner
- A positive attitude in the face of the climate and biodiversity crisis
Skills that would be an asset:
- Knowledge of EU and international environmental law and climate litigation
- Experience in breaking down complex issues in an accessible manner
- Experience with social media communication tools (or a high willingness to learn)
- Knowledge of the climate crisis, environmental movements, policy, UN processes, European environmental/climate policy is an added bonus but not required (this is where the willingness to learn comes in!)
- Knowledge of other languages (French, Polish…);
- Good knowledge and application of non-formal education methodology.
What would the job entail?
- Responsible for ensuring a youth voice and youth support to advocacy targeted at the EU around the Aarhus Regulation and in the Aarhus Convention process: joining advocacy meetings, keeping informed of Aarhus developments, and providing inputs
- Communication work (social media and targeted outreach) on access to justice and environmental law more broadly
- Mobilising youth support for improved access to justice
- Support legal research and drafting of accessible resources on key environmental law topics
- Support the organisation of workshops on environmental law topics with non-formal education methods
- Support the development of a broader network and a longer-term strategy on environmental law work
- Mobilise YEE’s members and the broad youth climate movement to get more engaged.
- Develop YEE’s work on environmental law and climate litigation
- Support the Advocacy Team and additional tasks as required
What do we offer?
- Part-time position of 20 hours per week with a monthly net salary of 23000 Czech Crowns, (equivalent to 900 EUR, depending on the conversion rate). The position will run from mid-September 2021 to mid-June 2022 with the possibility of prolonging the contract (potentially to a full-time position).
- An inclusive work environment with fun, friendly, and passionate colleagues from all corners of Europe;
- Flexible working hours;
- Possibility to learn and grow very quickly with the opportunity to learn about policy-making processes at the national, European, and international levels.
Youth and Environment Europe (YEE) is the largest independent European network of environmental youth organizations. YEE unites 52 member organisations coming from 30 countries.
Our mission is to unite environmental youth non-profit organisations in Europe. YEE’s goal is to mitigate the climate crisis by:
- raising awareness and building capacity among youth on the climate crisis;
- enhancing international cooperation and knowledge-sharing among our members;
- strengthening the participation of youth in environmental and climate decision-making processes.
What is the Advocacy Working Group (AWG)?
In August 2020, Youth and Environment Europe set up a new Advocacy Working Group as an ambitious initiative to ensure even stronger participation of young people in environmental and climate governance processes, building closer links with decision-makers and advocating for action on climate change. We are a team of approximately 10 who push for more projects at YEE on diverse topics: environmental governance, green Europe, biodiversity, oceans & Arctic, environmental law, and climate change…
We are now about to start a new project on awareness-raising and capacity building on environmental law while also continuing our work on access to justice.
Sounds interesting? Apply here by the 28th of August.
We are looking forward to receiving your applications. In case of any questions please contact our Advocacy Manager Nathan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!