We are looking for two liaison officers
Youth and Environment Europe’s Advocacy Working Group (AWG) is looking for two motivated, passionate volunteers to join the team! The positions are Liaison Officer on Energy and Liaison Officer on Environmental Governance. Could any of those roles be for you?
The Advocacy Working group is a leadership program aimed at providing transversal skills to become young leaders active on climate justice. Among skills, the role will provide a stronger and closer communication opportunity with decision-makers and exposure to environmental governance processes. If you are passionate about environmental questions and want to advocate on behalf of young Europeans, come join the team!
Keep reading to get more information on the roles:
Energy Liaison Officer
The volunteering position of Energy Liaison Officer would require 7-10 hours a week. The aim of the Energy Liaison Officer is to help create a stronger basis of Energy knowledge with YEE and to implement and carry out relevant advocacy campaigns and relations on the topic.
The portfolio of the Energy Liaison Officer would extend to things such as liaising with the European Youth Energy Network, EEB Climate and Energy Working Group, coordinating with Energy Charter Treaty project leads at GCE, CEE Bankwatch and CAN-Europe. The Energy Liaison Officer should act as a campaigner for sustainable and safe energy production.
There are certain areas that are of particular interest such as the ECT, Nuclear Power transition and coal-based energy phasing out. Furthermore, the Energy Liaison Officer should act as a guide for the key European stakeholders on energy issues/agreements/policies
This is a position with a lot of potential – with exciting projects on the horizon and two already clear tasks to attend to:
- Cooperation in the organization of a project on Nuclear Energy
- The drafting and execution of a concept note outlining YEE’s position on Energy together with Member Organisations of YEE.
Environmental Governance Liaison Officer
The Liaison officer on Environmental Issues would play an essential role in coordinating YEE environmental advocacy at the international level. The main institution is the United Nations Environment Program, to which YEE is accredited.
The Liaison will represent YEE in the United Nations Environmental Programme Major Group for Children and Youth (UNEP MGCY) – the formal youth constituency to UN Environment Programme as the European Regional Focal Point. Having been restarted two years ago, there is a lot of space for development and advocacy on behalf of YEE. The EEB also became the new Regional Focal Point and we will therefore brainstorm on involving young people in UNEP processes with them.
The Liaison Officer will also work with UNEP International Resource Panel from which YEE is the only youth partner and UNESCO. This is an amazing opportunity to gain exposure to the UN processes on environmental issues.
- Liaise with the Major Group on Children and Youth from the United Nations Environment Program
- Attend meetings link to YEE relationship with UNEP and the EEB on environmental topics
- Help with the arrangement of YEE delegation to COP27
Who are we looking for? Our liaison volunteer should:
- be between 16 and 30 years old;
- be available around 7-10 hours per week;
- Have a strong interest in advocacy and promoting sustainable policy and green goals;
- Be passionate in helping strengthen the voice of youth in European decision making.
- have strong written and verbal communication skills and a good level of English (the working language of YEE is English so you should be able to clearly express yourself both orally and in writing);
- Have basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, Google Drive,..);
- Have a good team spirit and be able to be part of a brand-new team;
- Be organised and meet deadlines;
Be committed to the aims of the project and YEE values.
Application deadline: 9th January 2022